• Announcements

• Admin

Welcome!   07/22/2015

We have added a brand new forum for the Science of Massage Institute. Please join here. Members of the Video Library can request access to the Private Forums.

Hi Dr. Ross,

Today, on Saturday, I had a client, little girl of 9 year old, who was brought to me by her mom, good friend of mine. Last Tuesday the girl had basketball practice, Wednesday morning she woke up with excruciating pain in her foot. She was taken to podiatrist where she had x-ray which showed no sprain, strain or any fracture. The doctor suggested CRPS. After reading what it was I had goosebumps. 

After examining her today I saw that her ankle was swollen, maybe by 10-15%. She reacted when I examined her spine on L-5 S-1, there was no pain on other spine segments. No sign of active trigger point on piriformis muscle. I couldn't even touch her on therapy point of sciatic nerve and on its pass way down to the knee and same on tibial nerve pass down to the ankle. She did not react on tapping on peronial nerve therapy point. There is a lot of pain around her ankle, but not on her heel. I tried to start tibial nerve neuralgia protocol, but even light lymphatic drainage strokes made her cry. I have to say she is quite a diva, but obviously the pain is genuine.

Do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay but somehow your posts didn't register by Forum and appeared recently. I think that CRPS is nonsense. More likely she had local trauma i  the tendon, capsule of the joint or ligament. I hope that at this point swelling subsided and you are able to better palpate and examined foot. You were correct to start with LDM.

Dr. Ross Turchninov

Ross and  Galina in this case I recommended to use a cool therapy around the tendon cover with a thin towel ( no directly to the tendons ) just the soft  tissues in the plantar area or in the upper part of the gastrocnemius ( no in the Avilés tendon ) to reduce the pain and do LDM around the area of the tendon. I used in the past this to get  some kind of analgesia effect in combination with a Gel with Diclofenaco ( Voltaren Gel) and then when the swollen subsid I do more ease the LDM in the unkle Protocol from the video library  ,. with good results ,. I did a Ice bag with a light pressure for 15 minutes in and intermiten way and I recommended do the same to the patient every two hours the rest of the day and the swollen go away 50% and after to days I give the LDM and the unkle Protocol  ,. Make sense for you ? Any comments?