JOIN OUR COMMUNITY OF ELITE PRACTITIONERS
And Propel Your Practice into the Lucrative Medical Field
A Medical Massage Certification from The Science of Massage Institute (SOMI) will place you in the company of a select and prestigious world community – dedicated professionals who are trained in scientifically grounded somatic therapies and are the most respected and sought-after.
The benefits of becoming a Certified Medical Massage Practitioner (CMMP) are many, including:
- Medical Massage Clinicians are the highest paid in the industry.
- You will become a medical professional who has integrated Medical Massage into your Therapeutic Massage practice to include the lucrative field of successfully treating disorders of the musculoskeletal system (e.g., rotator cuff, fibromyalgia, chronic headaches, etc.) and the nervous system (e.g., carpal tunnel, sciatic nerve neuralgia, positioning vertigo, etc.).
- Since you will be a medical professional, many of your clients will be referrals from physicians, significantly broadening your practice.
- You have the personally fulfilling experience of eliminating pain and chronic conditions and truly helping people. We assist you to become clinically thinking Medical Massage Practitioners who are flexible in their analyses and decisions. Medical Massage is an intellectually stimulating way to practice bodywork. By constantly engaging your mind, it frees you from the box-like mentality of using a single method or technique.
- You will love the professional 11 X 14” Medical Massage Practitioner certificate to prominently display and our certification insignia to place on your website and print on your business cards and stationery.
- Your name, contact information and specialty will be posted on the SOMI website connecting you with doctors and clients in your area who can only be helped through Medical Massage.
Why certification from The Science of Massage Institute is the most respected and valued:
Only SOMI has distilled the last 100 years of clinical trials and research to present 100% science-backed techniques and protocols. Every single thing we teach is based on incontrovertible and clinically effective science.
Only SOMI teaches the skill of knowing how to combine therapeutic massage techniques to create treatment protocols unique for each client.
Only SOMI has Dr. Ross Turchaninov, who reintroduced Medical Massage to America through textbooks which are the gold standard in colleges and teaching institutions across the country.
Only SOMI teaches professional level Clinical Thinking, based on science with an arsenal of tools to support your personal practice.
Only SOMI offers the amazing Video Libraries where you can see and follow the 7 basic massage techniques which then apply to Medical Massage Protocols for 70 of the most common pathologies.
Only SOMI teaches you how to examine the soft tissues on a level by level basis, concentrating on the structural abnormalities of the soft tissues.
Requirements for Certification:
We offer 2, 3 & 4-day seminars throughout the United States. Please check the SEMINAR tab for the variety of combinations and options.
All seminars include one day of lecture which you are required to take when you attend your first seminar. This gives you a thorough understanding of the Medical Massage Concept based on modern science. This Lecture day varies a bit with each Focus Subject and always includes some hands-on. For CMMP requirements you need to repeat this day, at your convenience, to give you 2 lecture days.
Frequently we schedule a Medical Massage Technique day. This is the basic component of any Therapeutic or Medical Massage session.
The remainder seminar day or days always provide hands-on Focus Subject or Subjects using one or two selected subject matters as examples to give you a complete understanding of the pattern of soft tissue rehabilitation using Medical Massage.
Each day is 8 hours and is worth 8 CE credits. You receive Continuing Education credits regardless of whether you are renewing your license or working toward certification. To become certified you must have the following, in any order (you can apply any CEs earned at any SOMI Medical Massage seminar since January, 2009):
- 2 days of lecture (16 hours) to understand the Medical Massage concept
- 1 day of Medical Massage Techniques which injects science into your Therapeutic and Stress Reduction Massage and is the basic component of all massage.
- 9 days of hands-on training in a variety of different Focus Subject days.
- 2 four-hour personal training sessions with Dr. Ross Turchaninov (total of 8 hours in two sessions). *
*As you are about to successfully complete the required class work, we will arrange for you to spend personal time with Dr. Ross where he will teach you Clinical Thinking to prepare you to use the highest level of professional training you can receive from SOMI. The charge for this personal session with Dr. Ross is $300 per 4 hour session. The first session will teach you how to perfect the evaluation process for your clients (when you know how to find the source of the innervation you can successfully treat it). The second session is questions and answers. You can ask all the questions you have and Dr. Ross will “show and tell” the answers.
All of the seminars cost the same whether you are earning your CMMP or attending for CEs. The only additional cost to earn your Certification is the personal training with Dr. Ross. You are billed when you register for the seminars you choose to take and when you choose to book your 4 hour sessions with Dr. Ross. We continually provide you with the support and the resources you need whether you are working towards your CMMP or are attending one class.
Our 96 hour Medial Massage Certification Program provides the assistance and training to escalate novice students to Level 3 to become Competent Medical Massage Practitioners. When you reach this point you will continually build your own skills by gradually engaging Clinical Intuition. This is why levels 4 and 5 are Professional Growth and Development. We assist you throughout your journey to Medical Massage Clinician until you reach the peak of your professional expertise.
For additional details refer to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at the top of this page. If you have more questions, to arrange personal instruction with Dr. Ross or if you are close to receiving your CMMP Certification in your next seminar contact our Director of Services, Mary Preuss at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (602)953-2945.
All Continuing Education Hours provided by The Science of Massage Institute (SOMI) are approved by the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB #312994-00) as well as all states where we offer classes including Florida (20-131803). The Medical Massage Certification program (CMMP) has been developed to improve the quality of clinical performance in the area of Medical Massage.
ATTENTION PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE ATTENDED OUR SEMINARS
FROM JANUARY 2009 TO DECEMBER 2016
The Certification Program has changed as of January 2017
Requirements for CMMP Certification have increased from 6 Focus Subject days to 9. We have advised all of you who have attended SOMI Medical Massage seminars in the past, to take your time throughout training for the purpose of absorbing the information and practicing it, so we will certainly honor the original requirement of 6 days of Focus Subjects for you.
We have found that 3 additional days of Focus Subjects make a wonderful difference in transitioning your practice. It makes our elite CMMPs even more knowledgeable and practiced in Medical Massage. This means more ease and comfort in treating clients and therefore, more income, status, referrals and returning clients. The new Marketing Kit that you receive at the seminars is a huge boost to working with Doctors and Chiropractors and, of course, we will still give everyone who attends our seminars a discount code for the Video Library. The extra instruction is most beneficial to help insure your lucrative career in a future billion dollar industry.
We have not and will not be raising prices for seminars in 2017. The only price change is from $200 to $300 for your personal time with Dr. Ross.
We’ve also added a Frequently Asked Questions button at the top of this page to help answer your questions.