JOIN OUR COMMUNITY OF ELITE PRACTITIONERS
And Propel Your Practice into the Lucrative Medical Field
A Medical Massage Certification from The Science of Massage Institute (SOMI) places you in the company of a select and prestigious world community – dedicated professionals who are trained in scientifically grounded somatic therapies and are the most respected and sought-after.
The benefits of becoming a Certified Medical Massage Practitioner (CMMP):
- Medical Massage Clinicians are the highest paid in the industry.
- You will become a medical professional who has integrated Medical Massage into your Therapeutic Massage practice to include the lucrative field of successfully treating disorders of the musculoskeletal system (e.g., rotator cuff, fibromyalgia, chronic headaches, etc.) and the nervous system (e.g., carpal tunnel, sciatic nerve neuralgia, positioning vertigo, etc.).
- Since you will be a medical professional, many of your clients will be referrals from physicians, significantly broadening your practice.
- You have the personally fulfilling experience of eliminating pain and chronic conditions and truly helping people. We assist you to become clinically thinking Medical Massage Practitioners who are flexible in their analyses and decisions. Medical Massage is an intellectually stimulating way to practice bodywork. By constantly engaging your mind, it frees you from the box-like mentality of using a single method or technique.
- You will love the professional 11 X 14” Medical Massage Practitioner certificate to prominently display and our certification insignia to place on your website and print on your business cards and stationery.
- Your name, contact information and specialty will be posted on the SOMI website connecting you with doctors and clients in your area who can only be helped through Medical Massage.
Why certification from The Science of Massage Institute is the most respected and valued:
Only SOMI has distilled the last 100 years of clinical trials and research to present 100% science-backed techniques and protocols. Every single thing we teach is based on incontrovertible and clinically effective science.
Only SOMI teaches the skill of knowing how to combine therapeutic massage techniques to create treatment protocols unique for each client.
Only SOMI has Dr. Ross Turchaninov, who reintroduced Medical Massage to America through textbooks which are the gold standard in colleges and teaching institutions across the country.
Only SOMI teaches professional level Clinical Thinking, based on science with an arsenal of tools to support your personal practice.
Only SOMI offers both Video Libraries where you can examine and practice the 60 Basic Technique variations for Medical Massage which then apply directly to the successful treatment of Medical Massage Protocols for 70 of the most common pathologies.
Only SOMI teaches you how to examine the soft tissues on a level by level basis, concentrating on the structural abnormalities of the soft tissues.
Requirements for Certification:
We offer mostly 3-day seminars throughout the United States. Please check the SEMINAR tab for the variety of combinations and locations.
All seminars include one day of Introduction to Medical Massage from
Theory to Application which is required for all first seminars. This gives you a thorough understanding of the Medical Massage Concept based on modern science. This Lecture day varies a bit with each Focus Subject and always includes some hands-on. For CMMP requirements you need to repeat this day, at your convenience, to give you 2 Introduction days.
Frequently we schedule a Basic Medical Massage Technique day. This is the basic component of all Medical Massage Protocol applications and is a must for Certification. We would recommend taking this class as soon as you can, it is so important.
The remainder of the 3-day seminar provide Hands-on Focus Subject or Subjects using a variety of subject matters as examples to give you a complete understanding of the pattern of soft tissue rehabilitation using Medical Massage.
Each day is 8 hours and is worth 8 CE credits. You receive Continuing Education credits regardless of whether you are renewing your license or working toward certification. To become certified you must have the following, in any order (you can apply any CEs earned at any SOMI Medical Massage seminar since January, 2009):
- 2 days of Introduction to Medical Massage from Theory to Application
- 1 day of Basic Medical Massage Techniques, giving you 60 variations that are the basic component for Medical Massage application.
- 9 days of Hands-on training in a variety of Focus Subjects.
- 2 4-hour personal training sessions with Dr. Ross Turchaninov. *
*These 2 personal sessions with Dr. Ross are offered, in almost all cases, the day prior to the seminars but let us know when you’re ready for classes at least a month prior to a seminar date so we can accommodate your needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 602-953-2945.
EVALUATING YOUR CLIENTS
This 4-hour class will teach you step-by-step evaluation of the patient including visual observation, clinical interview and layer-by-layer palpation. You will be able to pinpoint the source of the innervation so you can treat it successfully. Dr. Ross will teach you Clinical Thinking and prepare you to use the highest level of professional training you can receive from SOMI. The charge for this personal session with Dr. Ross is $400 for the 4-hour session. You do not receive CEUs for this training.
Requirements to be eligible for the first 4-hour personal training with Dr. Ross for Evaluating your clients:
- 2 Introduction to Medical Massage from Theory to Application days
- 1 Basic Medical Massage Technique day the basis for all Medical Massage
- 2 Hands-on days for any Focus Subjects you choose.
ASK, SHOW & TELL CLASS
When you have completed the requirements for CMMP you will be required to take a second 4-hour personal class with Dr. Ross, “Ask, Show & Tell” which is just that! Students bring their questions about Basic Medical Massage Techniques or their applications, questions about unsolved and solved cases and any other questions you have to Dr. Ross for the final segment of the independent clinical reasoning. Dr. Ross will “Show and Tell” you the answers and resources you need to hone your Clinical Thinking skills. You do not receive CEUs for this training. The charge for this personal session with Dr. Ross is $400 for the 4-hour session.
The final requirements for the last 4-hour personal training with Dr. Ross for Ask, Show & Tell:
- 5 additional 8-hour Hands-on days in a variety of Focus Subjects
All of the seminars cost the same whether you are earning your CMMP or expanding and perfecting your practice with Continuing Education classes. The only additional cost to earn your Certification is the personal training with Dr. Ross. We continually provide you with the support and the resources you need whether you are working towards your CMMP or attending one weekend class.
Certified Medical Massage Practitioner (CMMP)
This 96-hour Medical Massage Certification Program provides the assistance and training to escalate novice students to Level 3 to become Competent Medical Massage Practitioners so as you reach this point you will continually build your own skills by gradually engaging Clinical Intuition. This is why levels 4 and 5 are Professional Growth and Development. We support and assist you throughout your journey to Medical Massage Clinician to reach the peak of your professional expertise.
For more details refer to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at the top of this page. For additional questions or when you are close to receiving your CMMP Certification contact our Director of Services, Mary Preuss at email@example.com or call (602)953-2945.
The Science of Massage Institute is approved as a continuing education provider by the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB #312994-00) and the Florida Board of Massage Therapy and all states where we offer seminars.